Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia
Main facts and figures about Addis Abeba
Addis Ababa is located at 2 500 m above the sea offering a pleasant climate all the year.
Addis Ababa is a melting pot of cultures and languages. More than 5 million people live in Addis Ababa. You will find the 80 Ethiopian tribes and many foreigners.
The town is not only geographically the heart of the country but also the center for politics and trade. The African Union has established its headquarters in Addis Ababa.
Therefore the town is also considered as “the political capital of Africa”.
Main attractions to visit in Addis Ababa
- Merkato, the largest open air market in Africa
- The Ethnological Museum with a variety of information about Ethiopia’s peoples and tribes, original artifacts, paintings and ceremonial crosses and the original private rooms of the last emperor.
- The National Museum where is the famous skeleton of Lucy dated about 3.2 million years ago
- St. George Cathedral, former King Haile Selassie was crowned here in 1930.
- Trinity Cathedral, famous for its artwork decorations and for the inside tombs of some emperors.
- Entoto Mountains : panoramic view, former palace of Menelik II, Entoto Maryam Church
Where to stay in Addis ?
Addis Ababa offers accommodation in all categories from 5 stars accommodation to guest house.